I read this book when I first became a coach after seeing it referenced on StrengthCoach.com and just reread some of the pages I folded. Coach Dungy believes that the path to significance in life isn’t found through money, celebrity, or power but rather from attitude and ambition. I just wanted to share some of the takeaways I got from the book that can be applied to life as well as your goals. You have a much greater chance of becoming uncommon by your efforts rather than your natural talents or gifts.
Here are 5 ways to start practicing right now becoming uncommon and separating yourself from the rest of the pack.
- Live with passion and enthusiasm: There is no greater way to sell yourself to the world on what you love to do than passion and enthusiasm.
- Always take the high road: Your choices will determine your success: Bad Choices – No Success, Good Choices – Good Success, Great Choices – Great Success.
- Don’t hoot with the owls if you want to fly with the eagles: How you spend your “off-time” will determine your success.
- Work harder than anyone else: Work-ethic always pays off in the long run. While those who have great talent are taking it easy, work as hard as you can, and you will eventually pass them up.
- Catch a Break: The best way to catch a break is to get to know and become friends with as many people as you can. There is huge truth in “it’s not what you know it’s who you know.”
From Strengthcoach.com & Tony Dungy’s Book, Uncommon.